Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Lipsticks and Floods

I have seen women wear makeup, little did I know the process it takes to make them look beautiful. Recently, I decided to be an observing and caring man as I watched a friend makeup for a wedding ceremony.

I went early to her house, she was getting dress when I got there. She opened a small bag and emptied the content on her dresser- assorted gadgets with related names that sound like construction equipment. Brush, foundation, concealler, rose water, lipsticks, paint hardner, finishing etc. Instantly, I was gripped with fear. I tried to imagine without success how the end would be. One after the other she applied them to her old pineapple like face, miraculously the bumps and pimples disappeared. So, we set out for the wedding taking place at Orokpota Hall, King Square, Benin City. Classes of people were already outside trying to outdo the other with money and cars at the little space that serves as parking lots. My motor bike was not difficult to park all. The couples came out from the registry, marriage has been concluded and it was time to celebrate. The new wife that wore almost the same makeup with my friend insisted that she must cross to museum to snap a picture by the water fountain constructed by Governor Adams Oshiomole. Before I could wonder what is in water fountain..., my friend enlightened me that 'it is to pose with friends outside Benin that it was an international wedding that, it took place in Europe'. I couldn't just place it. Who will not know it was a local one? Then we finally moved to the reception somewhere in G.R.A , following heavy breeze and storms. Rain was imminent. Houses in G.R.A are all fenced, nowhere to hide. And the rain came down on us before we could locate a phone booth and squeezed in. I was happy until I looked my friend's face. The touch of rain completely messed up the make up. The bumps and pimples re-sufaced. Does it mean all she has been doing was just a facade,window dressing and mere aesthetics to show for such event? Considering the amount of money and time she spent on it and how she boasted that when her friends see her they would know she is the madam of the town. I became very sad. Somehow, the bill certainly will come to me. I remembered she has my money for food items against next day being Sunday, I should expect half of everything. I was beginning to catch cold. Before I could say a word, heavy flood leaked into the phone booth and soon reached up to our knees. We managed to swim across the road to safety. One pair of my shoes was gone. She lost her makeup bag. We all have our losses. We didn't talk to each other because we didn't know who to blame. I wonder if umbrella would have changed anything in time of heavy down poor like this. 'Are you mocking me? She asked, you how old and weak my umbrella is. Besides my children punched holes in it with broom'. Patch it or get a new one to replace the old one. ' My children are becoming too rascal, you can never tell what they will do next' Whose fault is that? 'Is either you or the father, your friend. You men are like... Don't speak ill of the dead. I just didn't want to banter words with her this time. If her kid did that, it does not concern me at all, I know how often they have come to my house using the umbrella rain or shine. Now they are destroying it. Come to think of it, do you think the issue of flooding in Benin is something to sweep under the carpet? There is no strong broom to make such a sweep Let's wait and see what happens, the rain season is just beginning.

Join The Discussion On Okoawo BlueGate & Co.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...