Kenyan police named four of the terrorists on Saturday. None of them were Western, contrary to their initial reports, and they were all men.
Amid the confusion of the four-day siege, Amina Mohamed, Kenya's foreign minister, said that a British woman "who has done this many times before" was among the attackers, as were "two or three" Americans.
But David Kimaiyo, the police chief, said that that information was false. He also said that Samantha Lewthwaite, the widow of the London bomber who is dubbed the "White Widow," and is wanted on terrorism charges, was not present during the Kenya attack.
"On Samantha we have also established that she was not part of the attackers in the building. There was no woman," he said....continue reading and watch the video after the cut...
Footage of the attack was broadcast in Kenya on Saturday morning, showing four men walking calmly through the shopping centre carrying guns.
The CCTV footage can now help answer questions about the bloodbath attack.
One thing is clear: the men were organised, apparently unafraid, and utterly ruthless.
During the attack, Kenyan officials said that between 10 – 15 gunmen were involved, and later claimed to have killed five, although it is not clear where those bodies are now.
But the footage released so far, which covers only one part of the mall and which was taken around five hours into the 80-hour siege, shows only four men.
In one shot, one of the attackers looks at supermarket checkout tills, knocking over computer screens.
Fate of gunmen in footage unknown
At the same time, he is seen chatting on a mobile phone, suggesting either coordination with attackers inside the mall or even to commanders outside or in Somalia.
It could provide key clues for detectives, not least because the supermarket area — where the footage was shot — was later engulfed in a fierce blaze.
Kenyan and foreign investigators are continuing to comb the carcass of the mall for clues to the perpetrators and their operating methods.
Part of the rooftop parking of the mall collapsed on top of the supermarket, leaving the key site where the insurgents are understood to have made their final stand — along with possible hostages — buried under tonnes of concrete slabs and rubble.
39 people are still listed as missing by the Red Cross.
It is not clear what happened to those seen in the footage: whether they died in a shootout as Kenya claims, or in the fire that gutted part of the mall, or indeed, if they managed to escape.
Watch the video below:
Watch the video below:
Sources : Telegraph.co.uk, Nigerian Vanguard and Al Jazeera